February 22, 2013

Our Boy

A Birth Story:
A decision was made to be induced Thursday morning at 7:00am on February 21st due to several factors, so yesterday I arrived at the hospital alone (I sent Patrick to work for the first part of the day knowing the induction would take a while) excited to meet out new addition. As I assumed, it took a while to get checked in, situated in my room, my IV's started and my medication to begin the process. I enjoyed the conversation with my nurse Mary as well as the quiet time and anticipation of what the day would hold. I arrived to the hospital 3 cm dilated and by noon had only progressed to 4 cm. At noon my OB broke my water and soon after Patrick arrived. My contractions began to pick up and by 2:00, with very little progress, but intense pain, I received my epidural. From there I progressed quickly from a 4 to a 10 in about 3 hours. The nurses began to prep for our sweet baby's arrival, and once the OB arrived I began to push. The pushing began with no problems, and went very quickly until the very end, lasting only about ten minutes. There was soon a realization from everyone in the room that this was one BIG baby and would take quite an effort to make it out. I then had two nurses essentially sitting on my belly trying to push our baby out from the top while the DR pulled and rotated from the bottom. Once my OB was abbe to get the head and a shoulder and arm free we were finally able to catch the first glimpse of our baby BOY! Patrick and I were SHOCKED and ELATED to welcome our sweet son into the world. We both thought for sure this baby would join the girl's team and we were filled with such JOY to know that we would get to experience both genders as parents. We are overwhelmed with gratitude that   Cooper Michael Stover is here and healthy, and he is oh so LOVED. He weighed 9lbs 2oz and is 21in long. 
seeing my boy for the first time
one VERY proud Daddy
what a blessing!
our sweet L&D nurse Mary

our BIG boy
His Name:
Cooper is a name we have always liked and agreed on (both girl's would have been Cooper had they been boys) but it is also special to us. Charleston SC (the city we got married in) has a beautiful bridge connecting the city with its surrounding islands and it is named the Cooper River Bridge, also my Aunt Reesie's (my Maternal Grandfather's only sister) last name is Cooper. Michael is Patrick's older brother's name and a really amazing role model, as well as the name of my FIL's best friend who passed away this month and really lived life to the fullest, as we hope our little man will do as well. 

Cute story: All along we have been talking with Caroline about the surprise we would get at the hospital, either a baby brother or baby sister, and as she would say when people would ask her what the baby was, "only God knows". She seemed equally excited about whatever sex the baby was, but upon her first meeting brother at the hospital she asked if there was anyway we could trade him in for a girl baby! HA! She and Scarlett were a little apprehensive about getting close to Cooper, but were much more interested in their BIG SISTER gift's and handing out candy to the nurses. 
Cooper with his Aunt Laura 
sweet boy
Caroline's big sister gifts
Scarlett checking out this new baby
Cooper with the two people that love him most!
Cooper we cannot believe you are here, but feel so blessed and lucky to have been picked as your Mama and Daddy! We Love You! Welcome to the world little buddy! 

No comments: